Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Discoveries

The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes.
--Marcel Proust-

It is a challenge to observe wholeheartedly--to really look at your surroundings. There are so many distractions that can alter perceptions: smartphones, sunglasses, anger, loud headphones, jealousy are minimal examples.  The discoveries on this journey are more wondrous then imagined: the smile from a elderly woman when a child gives her his seat on the bus--even though his eyes are so very tired, the lovely melody sung by the teenage boy in front of the fruit stand by 711, playing a stringed instrument so fast...so fast, the taste of the ripest, reddest, more ridiculously delicious watermelon that it seems alive or actually makes you feel more alive when eating it. Simple gestures from people are my favorite discoveries. When someone wants to see you--just to be with you for a few hours each night, they travel hours on a bus or a boat or a bus and a boat or a bus and a boat and the train. Just. To. See. Me. Every night. That is a discovery I am overjoyed to have found. I think I may have discovered reasons why people cherish these moments. I know why I do. These special times happen when special people are there. They show up. Even if the voyage is difficult--they are there eating incredible spicy Issan food with you, then getting pineapple, or going to see a big big big IMAX movie and for some reason the movie is always amazing. I discovered something good. I found my heart--my most profound epiphany of the year. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment